Friday, December 23, 2011

UNEXPECTED GIFTS OF HOPE, LOVE, AND JOY

This past Sunday our church had the privilege of hearing the music ministry of 15 children from the International Children’s Choir. As I watched them sing and dance in their native costumes, I was overwhelmed with emotion. They were beautiful and their faces shone with the love of God and the joy of His Spirit. They sang of being the “next generation” of believers who will serve the Lord with all their hearts. For all who were present they brought the gift of HOPE.
Joel and I hosted three of the youngsters in our house. Each brought their curiosity, appreciation and warmth to our home. Joshua* from Uganda is ten, Ricky from the Philippines is eleven and Sarah from Nepal (who acted as their chaperone) is seventeen. Joshua and Sarah come from Christian orphanages in their home countries. What a rich experience it was to share time with them and experience their uniqueness and individuality. Because of car problems, the children and I were confined to the house, so we did the “old fashioned” activities of playing board games, watching Christmas movies, and coloring at the kitchen table. I asked for “refrigerator art.” They got right to work and in a few minutes they presented pictures to me with the words, “I love you” written on them. They gave the gift of LOVE.
Later in the day, after dinner, Joel and I took them for a ride. A few times during the day, they had asked, “What is mall?” I tried to explain, but decided they needed to experience it for themselves. As we walked around the three-story mall, their eyes were wide with wonder. They wanted to visit with Santa, but the line prohibited us from doing that so we made up for it with ice cream.
Before tucking them into bed, I read Bible stories that I used to read to my own sons. They listened intently as I read about God’s wonderful acts of love and protection for His children. After offering a bedtime prayer, I asked them to join me in “The Lord’s Prayer,” and they did. We prayed the prayer that Jesus taught His disciples. The prayer that has been spoken by millions of people in thousands of languages around the world for two thousand years. But it  suddenly meant more to me than ever before , as I listened to the voices of these children. I knew that although we may never see each other again—that they will return to their countries around the world and face a future I can’t know—we will be connected by our faith. We will see each other someday in heaven. They gave the gift of JOY.
May the Lord bless you and give you the gifts of HOPE, LOVE, and JOY this Christmas and in the New Year!
*The children’s names have been changed for this article.

Copyright, 2011, Annalee Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment