Monday, January 9, 2012

Just Another Day?

For many of us, the Christmas decorations are packed away until next year, and we’ve begun the normal routine of life. This ninth day in January seems like any other day. Just another day. Or is it?
Consider this. Today has never existed before in the history of the world. And after midnight tonight, it will never exist again. That will be it. We get one shot at each new day. There are no “do-overs” with time. Every day is brand new, and we get only one opportunity to make it count.
Maybe you’ve heard the expression: “Today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present.”  It may sound corny, but it’s true. Yesterday is gone and we have no guarantee of tomorrow. We can only take what we’ve been given—this day —and use it for good.
While living in Michigan years ago, the cold, gray days seemed to run into each other. One morning I sat on my couch thinking it was just another day. That’s when I sensed the Lord speak to me about the importance of every new day. My thoughts became a prayer that I want to share with you. I hope it becomes the prayer of your heart, too.

Another Day


Lord, bless this, another day
And with each work-filled hour
May I feel the warmth and strength
Of Your Holy Spirit’s power.

Lord, bless this, another day
May it not slip idly past
But be used to build our home
On important things that last.

Lord, use me on this day
To be a shining light
To those whose lives are trapped
In sin’s cold and darkest night.

I ask, dear Lord, today
That in whatever may befall
Your loving face I’ll see
And I’ll recognize Your call.

For as each new day arrives
I long to know You more
So my life fulfills Your purpose
‘Til I reach that Golden Shore.

Lord, bless this, another day
I commit it now to You
May Your perfect love and grace
Be seen in all I do.

© Annalee Davis, 2012
(Published in The Secret Place: Devotions for Daily Worship, Fall 2005)


What can you do to make this day matter for Jesus? For others?  Take a moment to commit the day to the Lord to be used for His glory.                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment