Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Thoughts

We’re only a few hours away from Thanksgiving Day. It's the holiday where everyone in our nation stops to count our blessings regardless of religion, political persuasion, or nationality.
I awoke this morning at 5:30 a.m. reflecting on what I’m thankful for and decided to share my thoughts with you. If you’re struggling to find something to be thankful for, perhaps my thoughts will give you a nudge.
I’m thankful for:
1. Salvation- The only way for me to be in relationship with God is through Jesus’ death on the cross. I’m thankful for the blood of Jesus that was shed for my sin and that the Gospel message came to my ears.
“The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” Exodus 15:2
2. Life – Life is a gift from the Lord. His mercy is new every morning.  Whatever our circumstances, God tells us to “choose life” because He knows the future and He’s already there. I’m thankful for this life that is leading me to eternal life with Jesus.
“So choose life…for the Lord is your life.” Deuteronomy 30:19-20.
3. Health – There’ve been a couple of times in my life when I almost checked out. I’m grateful for my health—that I can get up out of bed, take care of myself and go through the day in the strength of the Lord.
“…and by his wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5
4. Family – There is no greater treasure I have on earth than my family. I’m thankful for my brother and sister and extended family. I’m grateful for a Christian husband and children who love the Lord. I’m thankful for my mother who raised me in the ways of the Lord. My grandchildren are precious gifts from God!
“ Sons [and daughters] are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.” Psalm 127:3
5. Home – I’m especially thankful this year for my home. After surviving the worst hurricane to hit the eastern seaboard, I’m grateful I have a place to live, food and clothing. I’m thankful for all those who are helping New Jerseyans who’ve been displaced.
“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge.” Psalm 91:4
6. Church and friends – I’m thankful for the body of Christ and the fellowship we share. I’m thankful for a lifetime of friends and for the new friends I’m making. They nourish to my soul and ease the burdens of life.
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” Proverbs 17:17
Why not make your own list of things you’re thankful for? If you don’t have the time, simply take a moment to quietly reflect on your blessings. Send up a “thank you” to the One who supplies all that we need. Great is His faithfulness!!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!



No comments:

Post a Comment