Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nothing Is Wasted

           


             I still remember lining up outside Ebenezer Church in Elizabeth, N.J. (now Evangel Church in Scotch Plains) for Vacation Bible School. Every year, about this time, my sister, cousins and I would wait outside in the warm ,summer sun for the large wooden doors to open allowing us to enter the sanctuary. My mother was always a volunteer worker, so it felt like a family reunion to see so many familiar faces.
            We marched into the clean, but humble sanctuary to lively music played on the piano. We sat on long wooden benches, scooting close to the person next to us so everyone could fit in the first few rows. Excitement and laughter always filled the room.  Our smiling faces revealed we were happy to be there!
            Each new day of VBS started with music. We sang songs like “Hallelu, hallelu, hallelu, hallelujah, Praise Ye the Lord,” “Stop and Let Me Tell You,” “I’m In the Lord’s Army,” “I’ve Got the Joy, Joy, Joy” and, of course, “Jesus Loves Me.” But we weren’t just taught this old favorite in English. We were also taught the lyrics to “Jesus Loves Me” in Japanese and Spanish.
            I don’t remember the Japanese version. But I do remember the Spanish. The words are:
Si, Christo me ama (Yes, Jesus Loves Me)
Si, Christo me ama (Yes, Jesus Loves Me)
Si, Christo me ama (Yes, Jesus Loves Me)
La Biblia dice asi   (The Bible tells me so)

            On my trip to Nicaragua last Spring, I was scheduled to teach a women’s Bible Study each afternoon. I was delighted for the opportunity, but it also gave me relief from the afternoon heat of the mountain villages to go back to the church and be out of the sun for a couple of hours.

            One afternoon, my transportation never arrived. They literally forgot to pick me up from the village where I was witnessing and drive me to the church where several women were gathered for the Bible Study. I didn’t know this at the time. So, I became frustrated as I waited for my ride, wondering why it was taking so long.

            Team members made arrangements for the children of our village to gather each afternoon and have a mini VBS. Still waiting for my ride, I decided to let go of my increasing anxiety and join in the activities.   We began to sing children’s songs and before long, I was teaching them “Jesus Loves Me” in Spanish. A fellow team member from Canada, Janeen, taught them the words in sign language. I was happy to be there in spite of the heat!

            Over fifty years had passed since I learned those lyrics! And they were still fresh in my mind. I hadn’t used them in all those years, but when I needed them, in the mountain village of San Andreas, Nicaragua, the Lord brought them back to my memory.

            What had been invested in me as a child, was still bearing fruit. And what you invest in others will bear fruit some day. You may not see it or be aware of it. But nothing is ever wasted in the Kingdom of God. Nothing.

Have you forgotten that Jesus loves you? Let Him love you today. And don’t forget to tell someone else about His love! It won't be wasted.  I promise.

Copyright, 2012, Annalee Davis


.

No comments:

Post a Comment